Sunday, October 5, 2014

Grimm by a mile

Tonight, I won't be DVRing "Once Upon A Time" for the first time since the show debuted. I was vested in the original cast and story, but every time they pull another set of Disney movie characters out of the vault, I become less so. Now it seems to have completely devolved into a long-running Disney ad.

It's a shame because the show had promise. When it's first season ran parallel with "Grimm" the shows both looked interesting, even equally so. It didn't take me long to favor the originality and self-deprecating humor of "Grimm" in Portland over the fairly predictable and overly commercial action in Storybrook, or Never Never Land; and now that I know they're "Frozen" I just can't bear to watch. I can at least hope for the sake of those who do watch that they won't also have to listen to that dreadfully overplayed song. Perhaps they should take their own advice and let it go. They don't merit the prime DVR bandwidth in the highly-competitive, it's a marathon not a sprint, landscape that is Sunday night television.

So, I'll wait, seriously looking forward to finding out what mythological complications, quirky reactions to awkwardly delivered spells, and unpronounceable Germanic words those wildly creative folks in Portland have in store for us this coming season. "Once Upon a Time" is simply not in the same league.

No comments:

Post a Comment